How to stop having oily hair?
Despite appropriate care and a healthy lifestyle, hair tends to remain greasy most of the time. To break this vicious circle, we must redouble our efforts by adopting the right actions and the right products.
Why is hair greasy?
To treat the problem effectively, you need to understand why hair becomes or remains oily.
Hair is considered oily when it produces excess sebum, the scalp becomes greasy very quickly and becomes shiny. Oily hair is recognizable thanks to its “wet” appearance.
Often, oily hair darkens, becomes dull and promotes the appearance of greasy dandruff which is unsightly.
The causes of overproduction of sebum are diverse: genetics, poor diet (too oily or too sweet), stress, pollution, hormonal imbalances, or even use of hair products not suited to the nature and type . hair .
Be careful though, it is completely normal to have a little oily hair. Sebum is a substance naturally produced by the sebaceous glands to protect hair from external attacks as well as drying out.
What hair products to use for oily hair?
First, to get rid of oily hair, you need to choose the right hair products.
The faster your hair gets greasy, the more you want to wash your hair regularly.
It is imperative to space out shampoos as much as possible because the more you wash your hair, the quicker it will re-grease.
The ideal is to wash your hair once or twice a week only with a shampoo, preferably gentle and natural, suitable for oily hair. In your shampoo bottle, it is possible to add a few drops of essential oils, in particular tea tree oil or lavender oil which are ideal for cleaning the scalp.
There is a “dry” shampoo (that is, one that is not used with water), composed of starch powders to absorb sebum at the roots, as well as Ayurvedic powders which help to cleanse the scalp and regulate sebum.
However, you should not overuse dry shampoo because, in high doses, it can damage the scalp and cause overproduction of sebum.
Which conditioner - mask?
As with shampoo, you must choose a mask or a gentle and natural conditioner, suitable for oily hair.
Please note, the mask or conditioner should only be applied to the ends. Indeed, if it is applied to the scalp, it further promotes sebum production.
To treat oily hair, it is advisable to massage the scalp with certain vegetable oils which are very effective. You must gently massage the scalp for about 5 minutes so as not to stimulate and activate the work of the sebaceous glands.
Regarding the choice of oil, the star oil for oily hair is jojoba oil. It is suitable for oily roots and thus helps regulate sebum. It can be used, once a week, in the form of an oil bath to leave on for several hours, or even overnight.
Hazelnut oil as well as black seed oil are also beneficial for combating oily hair and purifying the scalp.
After application, it is imperative to rinse your hair well to remove all residue and avoid ending up with heavy and dull hair.
How to prevent hair from getting greasy too quickly?
There are a few easy tips to apply on a daily basis to avoid this phenomenon:
- Avoid using heated appliances such as hair dryers, straighteners or curling irons when hair is greasy or dirty. They tend to make hair even oilier and damage it due to heat;
- Do not touch your hair often, in fact, running your hand through the hair can promote the production of sebum. If it is dirty, it can even grease the entire hair more quickly.
- Limit hair brushing so as not to stimulate the scalp;
- Ban all beauty products based on harmful and chemical ingredients (like silicone for example);
- Rinse your hair with cold water to tone and shine your hair
- Have a healthy and balanced diet, limiting foods that are too rich in spices, fats and sugars which tend to make your hair greasy. Vitamin B6 participates in particular in the regulation of sebum in the scalp, it is found in certain foods (bananas, salmon, poultry, potatoes, etc.).
Furthermore, to maintain healthy hair, Délicure offers sugar-free hair gummies , vegan, natural and made in France. They contain B vitamins (notably vitamin B6), minerals (zinc and selenium) and blueberry which activates the microcirculation of the scalp and thus promotes hair growth.
The first effects of this new beauty routine are visible after a few weeks.
How to style your hair with oily hair?
Finally, there are some hairstyles to hide your oily hair:
- Putting on a hairband or headband helps hide oily roots;
- Making braids stuck to the head allows you to go one or two days longer between shampoos;
- Wearing a scarf in your hair is both aesthetic and helps hide oily hair;
- Use barrettes to put on the side of the hair to hide the greasy and shiny appearance.