How to determine your hair type and nature?
It is essential to learn to recognize the nature of your hair (normal, oily, dry, damaged, fine or thick), and its type (straight, wavy, curly or frizzy) to provide it with all the care it needs.
Different types of hair
You should know that the nature of hair can change depending on lifestyle habits, the environment and the way in which it is treated.
Normal hair is shiny, soft and greasy only after a few days. In addition, they have the advantage of being very easy to style and detangle.
Oily hair tends to secrete excess sebum and promote the appearance of dandruff .
Hair is oily for various reasons: poor lifestyle, unbalanced diet, inadequate care, stress, or even hormonal imbalances.
Oily hair is recognizable by oily roots and the need to wash your hair daily.
Dry hair is easy to recognize because of its lack of shine and rough appearance.
Unlike oily hair, dry hair produces less sebum than it should, so it becomes brittle and lacks elasticity. Sometimes they can cause scalp irritation.
Dry hair gets tangled easily and looks like “straw”. The reasons are often linked to poor lifestyle habits or environmental factors (sun, sea salt, pollution, etc.).
Like dry hair, damaged hair dries out and breaks easily. The scales of the hair fiber are abnormally spaced apart, the hair is therefore very fragile. It is very difficult to detangle and style them.
The ends of damaged hair are often split and the lengths are dull.
Fine hair is quickly damaged due to its fragility, and can become greasy very easily. They often lack volume and are imperceptible to the touch.
The thickness is judged by the diameter of the hair and not by the density or volume of the hair.
Unlike fine hair, thick hair does not break easily and can be difficult to style, so choose suitable products and a suitable brush.
Different hair types
To determine your hair type, just look at its shape and general appearance.
Straight or straight hair
Smooth hair is “straight” and has no waviness. Straight or straight hair is shiny and easy to maintain.
Wavy type hair is rather fine, it can be recognized by its shape similar to an “S”. Often, wavy hair is shiny and easy to manage.
Curly hair can come in several forms: a more defined “S” shape than wavy hair, or a tight corkscrew shape.
Some curly hair may have a frizzy texture.
Frizzy hair has very tight curls similar to small springs. The hair does not form an “S” loop but rather spirals in the shape of a “Z”.
Frizzy hair tends to be very dry.
Techniques to identify the nature and type of hair
There are different simple and quick techniques to identify your hair type.
Determine your hair texture
To determine your hair texture, there is a quick test to carry out with standard sewing thread (not too thick) approximately 15cm long.
This involves pulling out a whole hair, and comparing it to the thread side by side on white paper:
- If the hair is less thick than the thread, it is judged as fine;
- Conversely, if the hair is thicker than the thread, it is thick;
- If the hair is the same thickness as the yarn, it is considered “medium”.
Identify hair porosity
Hair porosity relates to its ability to absorb and retain hydration, i.e. water. In order to identify it, a rapid test must be carried out. You must pull out a clean hair, without traces of hair products likely to distort the result.
You must place the hair in a transparent container and wait a few minutes to observe its reaction:
- If the hair floats and does not sink in water, it has low porosity. The scales of the hair fiber are very tight, water has difficulty penetrating and once inside, it has difficulty getting out. The hair therefore takes a long time to dry;
- If the hair is in the middle of the container and only flows after a while, it has medium porosity. The opening of the scales is ideal for letting water in in sufficient quantity and in adequate time to properly hydrate the hair;
- Finally, if the hair falls quickly to the bottom of the container, the hair has high porosity. The scales of the hair fiber are widely spaced, so hydration penetrates easily but comes out immediately. The hair thus becomes dry.
Check hair elasticity
Checking the elasticity of your hair allows you to know if it tends to damage or break very easily. After pulling out a whole hair, you need to hold it in your hands at each end, pull lightly on it and observe its ability to stretch like an elastic band:
- If the hair stretches a lot before breaking, the hair is judged to be strong and elastic;
- If the hair stretches a little and ends up breaking, it has average elasticity;
- Finally, if the hair breaks immediately when stretched, this means that it is not strong enough and therefore has low elasticity.
Choosing the right products suited to your hair
After knowing your nature and hair type, you must adopt a good hair routine and choose the most suitable products to obtain dream hair.
For example, you should prefer the best beauty products (shampoo, conditioner, mask, treatment oil , etc.) or the types of accessories (brush, comb, etc.).
It is very important to take care of your hair to keep it healthy, promote its growth and improve its general appearance (shine and softness).
Take care of your hair with Délicure
To ensure the maintenance of normal hair, Délicure offers vegan, natural, sugar-free “Hair” gummies made in France. They are enriched with blueberry which helps activate microcirculation of the scalp and thus rapid hair growth, vitamins (vitamin B6, B8, B9, B12 and E) and minerals (zinc and selenium) essential to keep hair in good condition. good health.